The president has employed the same kind of inflammatory language as George Wallace did in the 1968 campaign. Richard Nixon ran that year seeking the middle between the Alabama governor and Hubert Humphrey. LBJ's Paul Stekler talks about the comparison.
- Ph.D., Harvard University, 1982
- Policy Communications
Paul Stekler is an acclaimed documentary filmmaker and founder of the Center for Politics and Governance at the LBJ School of Public Affairs. His film work includes "George Wallace: Settin' the Woods on Fire," "Last Man Standing: Politics, Texas Style," two segments of the "Eyes on the Prize II" series on the history of civil rights, "Last Stand at Little Big Horn" (broadcast as part of PBS's series "The American Experience"), "Louisiana Boys: Raised on Politics" (broadcast on PBS's "P.O.V." series) and "Getting Back to Abnormal." His films have won two Peabody Awards, three duPont-Columbia University Journalism Awards, three Emmy Awards and a special jury prize at the Sundance Film Festival.
Dr. Stekler holds a doctorate in government from Harvard University, where his work focused on Southern politics. He previously worked as a political pollster in Louisiana while teaching at Tulane University. His writing has appeared in the Texas Observer, Texas Monthly and the International Documentary Association's magazine, among other places, and in the book, Killing Custer, co-written with novelist James Welch. Dr. Stekler was named film school Mentor of the Year in 2014 by Variety.
- Spring 2020 - 58365 - PA 388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2019 - 60080 - PA 388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Fall 2018 - 60825- PA 388K – Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2018 - 60745 - PA 388K – Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2017 - 61330 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2016 - 60250 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2015 - 61080 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2014 - 63435 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2013 - 62745 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- State and national campaign politics
- Public Broadcasting