The withdrawal of U.S. troops sends a bad message to our nation's would-be allies says Paul Pope, a professor at the LBJ School of Public Affairs, in his opinion article in the Austin American-Statesman.
- M.A., Naval Postgraduate School
- B.S., U.S. Military Academy
- Intelligence and National Security
James "Paul" Pope is a clinical professor in the LBJ School of Public Affairs and a senior fellow in the Intelligence Studies Project, which is sponsored by the Strauss and Clements Centers. He retired from the CIA after multiple foreign tours, service as chief of station and assignments as a chief, deputy chief and chief of operations in three of the Directorate of Operations largest components. As chief of the training and tradecraft division, Pope was responsible for DO training, capturing "lessons learned," and adapting training and tradecraft to emerging technical challenges and mission imperatives. He was acting assistant director of National Intelligence for Partner Engagement for an extended period and head of delegation to NATO's Civilian Intelligence Committee.
Pope was DNI/DCIA Representative to Commander, U.S. Pacific Command and his component commands. Prior to the NCS, he served on the National Intelligence Council for the Near East and South Asia and led an analytic branch in the Directorate of Intelligence. Pope was an Army officer, with service on the Army General Staff after twice commanding at the company level, including command of the only active firebase in the Army on the Korean DMZ. He received his M.A. With Distinction from the Naval Postgraduate School and B.S. from the United States Military Academy at West Point. Pope is a distinguished graduate of Command and General Staff College and a graduate of the National War College's CAPSTONE course.
- Fall 2020 - 58850 - PA 680PA - Policy Research Project
- Spring 2020 - 58150 - PA 325 - Topics in Policy
- Fall 2019 - 59224 - PA 388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2019 - 60200 - PA 388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2019 - 59850 - PA 325 - Topics in Policy
- Fall 2018 - 60745 - PA 388K – Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2018 - 60550 - PA 325 – Topics in Policy
- Spring 2018 - 60620 - PA 682GB – Policy Research Project on Global Policy Issues
- Fall 2017 - 42900 - TC 358 - Plan II Junior Seminar
- Fall 2017 - 60750 - PA 682GA – Policy Research Project on Global Policy Issues
- Spring 2017 - 61125 - PA325 - Topics in Policy
- Spring 2017 - 61445 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2016 - 60310 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Fall 2015 - 59930 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Fall 2015 - 42045 - TC357 - Plan II Junior Honors Seminar
- Spring 2015 - 61120 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Fall 2014 - 62529 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy