Required Core Courses – 22 hours
- PA 383G, Policy Making in a Global Age
- PA 387G, Nature of the International System
- PA 393G, Microeconomics
- PA 397G, Analytical Methods for GPS
- PA 393H, International Economics
- PA 682A & 682B, MGPS Policy Research Project
- PA 195G, Crisis Management (one credit)
Specialization/Field Requirements – 15 hours
- Individual courses to be assigned/approved by Specialization Faculty Coordinators.
- PA 396G, Internship in Global Policy.
- The internship requirement does not require registration for course credit, but some students will choose to do additional academic work related to their internships.
- If students choose to register for the internship course (PA 396G), they can count it as three hours towards their specialization or elective credits. Students who wish to pursue this option should complete the MGPS Internship Credit Request Form and will need to attain approval from a MGPS faculty member who is willing to oversee the independent work and submit a grade for PA 396G.
- Students pursuing a dual degree with Law or Business only have to take 12 hours for their MGPS specialization. This may include PA 396G (Internship in Global Policy).
Electives – 9 hours*
- LBJ School courses
- Approved Non-LBJ School courses
- Most graduate level courses at UT that have substantial content relevant to global policy will count.
- Advanced foreign language course do not count as approved non-LBJ school courses.
- Please contact the MGPS adviser if you have any questions about the eligibility of a course.
- MGPS dual degree students are not required to complete the 9 hours of electives.
Writing Requirement - 3 hours
- PA 190G, Writing & Research for GPS I, II, and III. (Each writing section is one credit hour, totaling three credit hours.) Please note that Writing I must be taken in your first year unless you are a dual degree student. Dual degree students completing a thesis or Professional Report for their other degree are not required, but are highly encouraged to take Writing I, II and III.
- PA 398R, Master Professional Report (PR). Most MGPS students will satisfy their writing requirement by taking the writing sequence. Some students may choose to take both the writing sequence and also the PR; those students will count the PR toward their specialization. Very few students will use the PR to satisfy the writing requirement. Students who are interested in writing a PR should meet with the MGPS graduate advisor early during their last year.
Internship (0 hours; 3 hour option for credit)
- Students usually complete an internship in the summer between their first and second year in the MGPS program. Dual degree students may complete their internships at a later date, but should consult with the MGPS advisor first.
- Students who wish to enroll in PA 396G, the Internship in Global Policy three-credit course should complete the MGPS Internship Credit Request Form and will need to attain approval from a MGPS faculty member who is willing to oversee the independent work and submit a grade for PA 396G.
Foreign Language Proficiency – 0 hours
Students must demonstrate (via coursework or exam) a level of proficiency equal to or above the completion of the fourth semester at the college level in one foreign language. International students whose native language is not English are considered to have satisfied this requirement.
Total hours required for the regular MGPS degree: 49
Download MGPS Program of Study Worksheet
Total MGPS hours required for dual degree: 37
Download MGPS Program of Study Worksheet—Dual Degrees