Campus partners are working hard to make sure this year's graduation is safe, special, memorable and a fitting recognition of all that you have achieved. More information below.
In keeping with tradition, the university-wide Commencement for the Class of 2021 will be held Saturday, May 22, 2021, at 8 p.m. CT in the Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (DKR). To facilitate Commencement safely in DKR Stadium, both graduates and their guests will be required to have a ticket with an assigned seat. Graduates are guaranteed six guest tickets to the ceremony.
- A valid UT EID is required to access tickets. Graduates will be responsible for securing tickets for their guests. Students who have not successfully reserved guest seats will be sent a separate email with directions to acquire seats. If you have already reserved guest seats (tickets), they remain unchanged.
- Guest seating is separate from graduate seating. Graduates will sit with fellow graduates from their college or school.
- Guest seats, in groups of six for each graduate, will be spaced throughout the stadium in accordance with social distancing guidelines.
Attending the ceremony
- Masks are optional inside university buildings and outdoors. For individuals who are not fully vaccinated or have weakened immune systems, masking and social distancing are optional but recommended.
- The stadium will open for graduates and guests at 6 p.m. Pre-ceremony programming will start at this time. Graduates must arrive by 7:30 p.m. and be seated by 7:45 p.m. The ceremony will start promptly at 8 p.m
- The stadium's clear bag policy will be enforced.
- Students should plan to wear academic regalia (cap and gown) to the university-wide ceremony.
- Find more information (parking, rideshare, prohibited items, and more) online.
- Graduates or guests with ADA accommodation requests should contact Texas Athletics Fan Services.
- Graduates and guests to sign up for text alerts to stay informed about weather alerts, parking information and other details throughout the weekend. Text UTGRAD21 to 888777 to sign up.
- The ceremony will be live-streamed on the Commencement website so additional family and friends will be able to watch if they are unable to attend in person.
Commencement will include the traditional Tower lighting and fireworks display.
Commencement activities will continue as long as it is safe to do so. Should any activities be postponed or rescheduled, this will be communicated via the text system and displayed prominently on the university homepage, Commencement website, and university social media accounts.
Please note: Umbrellas are not permitted inside DKR-TMS. A full list of prohibited items is online.
LBJ School Virtual Ceremony
The LBJ School will hold a virtual graduation ceremony May 22, 2021, at 11 a.m. It will be broadcast via Zoom Meeting (link emailed on May 17) for the LBJ Community (students, faculty and staff), and all other guests may view it via the LBJ School YouTube Channel.
LBJ School Car-mencement
Please join the LBJ School Car-mencement Parade, 5–6 p.m. CT on Graduation Day, May 22. We will have a short car parade through the LBJ School parking lot with staff, faculty and Dean Springer on hand to congratulate you and welcome you the LBJ School Alumni family. Those attending the University-wide commencement can park in the lot for the evening ceremony after driving through the parade. Looking for good places to take photos on campus? We've got you covered.
To keep everyone safe, we have a few ground rules for our Car-mencement.
- You do not need to RSVP to participate; just drive up between 5 and 6 p.m.
- We ask that everyone please stay in their cars for the duration of the parade time. Please do not to get out to interact with staff, faculty or the dean.
- The LBJ School parking lot will be open to other cars during this time — so please use caution when driving through the lot. UT would not allow us exclusive use of the parking lot due to the other commencement activities going on that day, so we ask for your patience during this busy time.
- If you decide to park in the LBJ lot for the UT-wide commencement, please do not gather around the building or Car-mencement participants.
- The LBJ School building will not be open during this time. There will be no restroom access.
UT Graduate School Recognition Moment
On Saturday, May 22, the Graduate School will hold in-person Graduation Recognition Moments in Bass Concert Hall from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. These recognition moments consist of a guided path where graduates will enter the event space with their guests, cross the ceremony stage, take a professional graduation photo, and exit the venue. All Graduation Recognition Moments will be streamed live to allow the moment to be shared with extended family and friends. Details were sent to graduates through the UT Graduate School.
Students are welcome and encouraged to wear a cap and gown. If you need regalia, please contact email@example.com.
September Homecoming Weekend
President Hartzell has selected Friday, Sept. 17. as the date for the Class of 2020 University Commencement. The LBJ School plans to hold an in-person homecoming weekend during that time, where we'll recognize the classes of '20 and '21 in person.