Several professors from the LBJ School of Public Affairs will lead conversations on innovations in public policy and emerging challenges involved in training students to build sustainable and inclusive democracies at the 2019 Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration (NASPAA) Annual Conference. The conference, "Reconstructing Governance for the Next 50 Years," will take place in Los Angeles Oct. 16-19, 2019.
- J.D., University of Houston
- B.A., The University of Texas at Austin
Bill Shute is an executive management professional and government relations expert who has spent his professional career working in the federal policy arena and his entire personal life in federal politics.
Shute was vice chancellor for federal relations with The University of Texas System from September 2001 to May 2019. The UT System is one of the nation's largest higher education systems with 14 institutions and an annual operating budget of $18.9 billion (FY 2018). In his role as vice chancellor, Shute was responsible for all UT System and campus activities in Washington, DC and managed a staff of 14 System employees. Under his supervision, the Office of Federal Relations was charged with facilitating and enhancing the federal research and development portfolio of the UT System, reviewing and advocating federal policy, and overseeing a multicampus undergraduate and graduate fellowship program.
He is also an executive management professional and government relations expert, using these skills to provide strategic consultation to entities wishing to enter the Washington, DC environment or enhance their participation within the federal policy ecosystem. He recently joined the high-tech startup Dome Compass, Inc. as chairman of the Scholars Advisor Board, and is the creator and host of the popular weekly podcast, 80-Proof Politics, which distills the art of federal advocacy.
Before joining the UT System, he spent 11 years as executive director – federal relations for SBC Telecommunications, Inc. He also has worked as senior vice president in the government relations firm R. Duffy Wall & Associates, and as a telecom trade association attorney.
Shute holds a B.A. with honors from the University of Texas at Austin, a J.D. from the University of Houston, and is a member of the State Bar of Texas.
- Fall 2019 - 59125 - PA 381W - Foundations of Policymaking
- Summer Full 2019 - 88470 - PA W680WA - Apprenticeship in Public Policy
- Summer Full 2019 - 88465 - PA W680WA - Apprenticeship in Public Policy
- Summer Full 2019 - 88500 - PA W188G - Advanced Topics in Global Policy Studies
- Summer Full 2019 - 88505 - PA W188G - Advanced Topics in Global Policy Studies
- Summer 2018 - 89315/89310 - PA 381W – Foundations of Policymaking
- Fall 2017 - 60720 - PA 381W – Foundations of Policymaking
- Fall 2017 - 60725 - PA 381W – Foundations of Policymaking