Applications Open: Sept. 1
Priority Funding Deadline: Dec. 1
Final Deadline: March 1
Part-time Available: Yes
Time to Completion: Two years for full-time students
**Applications with any missing materials on March 2 will not be reviewed — this includes recommendation letters and transcripts.
- See what MPAff student Irving Calderon had to say about how Open House answered his questions and convinced him LBJ was the right choice.
- Check out our webinars for prospective students
- Contact the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions
Students will be expected to have an understanding of descriptive statistics, probability and algebra before beginning coursework.
Program Deep Dive: MPAff faculty member Sherri Greenberg on what makes the MPAff program unique
The ApplyTexas application opens in early September. Please review the online application instructions for more details and fee information. Some U.S. or permanent resident applicants may be eligible for an application fee waiver on the basis of documented financial need.
Are you applying to a dual degree program?
To apply to a dual degree program, please select the correct dual degree code on the ApplyTexas application. Do not submit separate ApplyTexas applications for each program.
Each department reviews dual degree applications independently. You must complete all of the requirements set by each department, including separate deadlines, test requirements, etc. If you are only admitted to one program, you will have the option of switching to the single degree program after the review process.
Statement of Purpose
After submitting your ApplyTexas application, you will receive access to your MyStatus page. You can upload your Statement of Purpose directly onto your MyStatus page. Please note that it will take at least one to two business days for you to receive access to your MyStatus page after submitting your ApplyTexas application.
- FOR ALL PROGRAMS: Please ensure your Statement of Purpose addresses the following prompts. Suggested length is two pages, single-spaced.
- What are the most important things the LBJ School Admissions Committee should know about you (e.g., personal history and background, unique experiences and perspectives)? In other words, what led you to your interest in public affairs?
- What are your professional and career goals? Ten years from now, what type of work do you hope to be doing in the field of public affairs?
- How would a degree from the LBJ School (as opposed to any other public policy school) help you achieve your professional goals?
- Please address any information that you believe your application would be incomplete without and that sheds more light on your unique potential to succeed in MPAff program and contribute to the University community and the field or profession.
Please review The University of Texas's instructions for submitting your transcripts.
For the 2023–24 application cycle (Fall 2024 entry), the LBJ School is offering a one-time, temporary waiver of the GRE, due to the unique challenges brought on by COVID-19. The GRE is optional for this cycle only and applicants may submit a GRE score if they feel it will strengthen their application. Please email the LBJ Admissions Team at email@example.com to let us know if you will be submitting a score.
International students also must submit TOEFL scores. We do not accept the IELTS. Visit UT's website for more information about test scores.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required as part of your application. We prefer one professional reference and one academic reference, while the third can be either professional or academic, depending on where you are in your career. Please review the departmental requirements section for more information about electronic submission of letters of recommendation.
After submitting your ApplyTexas application, you will receive access to your MyStatus page. You can upload your résumé directly onto your MyStatus page. Please note that it will take at least one to two business days for you to receive access to your MyStatus page after submitting your ApplyTexas application.
What to submit:
- Complete ApplyTexas application
- Application fee
- Official transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions
- GRE scores
- TOEFL scores (for international applicants)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Current résumé
- Personal statement of purpose
How to Verify Submission
Verify your application submission by visiting your MyStatus page to ensure we have received all of your materials and check for additional steps to take after you've applied. The UT Graduate and International Admissions Center can assist with technical issues in submitting your application materials.
Request More Information