In many ways, "public policy" world is as varied as the people who practice it. There is no one path to it; thinkers and doers pursue their passion for service for so many different reasons. The LBJ School was founded to improve the quality of public service in the United States and abroad at all levels of governance and civic engagement. We practice this through interdisciplinary scholarship, hands-on experience and a customizable educational experience that allows students to develop unique skills and expertise.
- Master’s, Naval Postgraduate School
- B.A., Journalism, The University of Texas
- Intelligence and National Security
William McRaven, former University of Texas System chancellor and retired U.S. Navy four-star admiral, joined the school as a professor in national security in 2018. As chancellor, he oversaw 14 institutions that educate 221,000 students and employ 20,000 faculty and more than 80,000 health care professionals, researchers and staff. As the commander of U.S. Special Operations Command, Adm. McRaven led a force of 69,000 men and women and was responsible for conducting counter-terrorism operations worldwide. He is a recognized national authority on U.S. foreign policy and has advised presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama and other U.S. leaders on defense issues.
Adm. McRaven oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. His book Spec Ops: Case Studies in Special Operations Warfare: Theory and Practice, published in several languages, is considered a fundamental text on special operations strategy. He has received the Republic of France's Legion d'Honneur, the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association's National Award and the National Intelligence Award. In 2016, he was named the recipient of the Ambassador Richard M. Helms Award by the Central Intelligence Agency Officers Memorial Foundation.
Listen to Adm. McRaven with LBJ School Dean Angela Evans on the "Policy on Purpose" podcast in September 2018.
- Spring 2022 - 59390 - PA 388L - Advanced Topics in Management
- Fall 2021 - 61085 - PA 388L - Advanced Topics in Management
- Spring 2021 - 60760 - PA 388L - Advanced Topics in Management
- Fall 2020 - 59105 - PA 388L - Advanced Topics in Management
- Spring 2020 - 58540 - PA 388L - Advanced Topics in Management
- Fall 2019 - 59384 - PA 388L - Advanced Topics in Management
- Spring 2019 - 60258 - PA 388L - Advanced Topics in Management
- National Security
- International Security
- Military Affairs