Learn more about how to join a community of leaders with a future of making a difference.
These are requirements to enroll in the program. You may still apply if you have not yet met these requirements but plan to do so by one of the methods below.
- One semester of college-level statistics
- One semester of college-level calculus
If you haven't yet taken statistics or calculus, your requirements can be fulfilled in one of the following ways:
- AP test credit listed on your college transcript
- Completion of an equivalent class at a community college
- Successful completion of an LBJ course that we offer to admitted students the summer before you start the program
- Passing a validation exam during orientation
The ApplyTexas application opens in early September. Please review the online application instructions for more details and fee information. Some U.S. or permanent resident applicants may be eligible for an application fee waiver on the basis of documented financial need.
Are you a current or former UT Austin graduate student?
Current and former UT Austin graduate students should not complete the ApplyTexas application. You should submit the Change of Major form. This does not apply to current and former UT Austin undergraduate students, who should submit the ApplyTexas application.
Are you applying to a dual degree program?
If you are applying to a dual degree program, please select the correct dual degree code on the ApplyTexas application. You should not submit separate ApplyTexas applications for each program.
Each department reviews dual degree applications independently. You must complete all of the requirements set by each department, including separate deadlines, test requirements, etc. If you are only admitted to one program, you will have the option of switching to the single degree program after the review process.
Please review The University of Texas' instructions for submitting your transcripts.
The GRE is required of all applicants, and the TOEFL is required of international applicants. We do not accept the IELTS. Visit UT's website for more information about test scores.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required as part of your application. We prefer one professional reference and one academic reference, while the third can be either professional or academic, depending on where you are in your career.
Please review the departmental requirements section for more information about electronic submission of letters of recommendation.
After submitting your ApplyTexas application, you will receive access to your MyStatus page. You can upload your résumé directly onto your MyStatus page once you receive access. Please note that it will take at least one to two business days for you to receive access to your MyStatus page after submitting your ApplyTexas application.
Statement of Purpose
After submitting your ApplyTexas application, you will receive access to your MyStatus page. You can upload your Statement of Purpose directly onto your MyStatus page once you receive access. Please note that it will take at least one to two business days for you to receive access to your MyStatus page after submitting your ApplyTexas application.
Please address the following topics in your statement:
- What are the most important things the LBJ School Admissions Committee should know about you (e.g., personal history and background, unique experiences and perspectives)? In other words, what led you to your interest in pursuing this degree?
- What are your professional and career goals? Ten years from now, what type of work do you hope to be doing in the field of public policy?
- How would a degree from the LBJ School help you achieve your professional goals?
After You Apply
After submitting your application, please check your MyStatus page to ensure we have received all of your materials, and check for additional steps to take after you've applied.
What to submit:
- Complete ApplyTexas application
- Application fee
- Official transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions
- GRE scores
- TOEFL scores (for international applicants)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Current résumé
- Personal statement of purpose