Learn more about how to join a community of leaders with a future of making a difference.
Application Available: September 1
Application Deadline: December 1 (Round 1); March 15 (Round 2)
Part-time Available: No
Time to Completion: Two years
These are requirements to enroll in the program. You may still apply if you have not yet met these requirements but plan to do so by one of the methods below.
- Students will be expected to have an understanding of descriptive statistics, probability and algebra before beginning coursework.
- Four semesters at the college level in one foreign language, or equivalent (e.g., Peace Corps or military foreign language training).
- Placement tests are available at UT Austin to meet the requirement.
- International students whose native language is not English are considered to have satisfied this requirement.
Although not required, it is recommended that entering students have six hours of undergraduate economics and a course each in calculus and international relations.
The ApplyTexas application opens in early September. Please review the online application instructions for more details and fee information. Some U.S. or permanent resident applicants may be eligible for an application fee waiver on the basis of documented financial need.
Are you a current or former UT Austin graduate student?
Current and former UT Austin graduate students should not complete the ApplyTexas application. You should submit the Change of Major form. This does not apply to current and former UT Austin undergraduate students, who should submit the ApplyTexas application.
Are you applying to a dual degree program?
To apply to a dual degree program, please select the correct dual degree code on the ApplyTexas application. Do not submit separate ApplyTexas applications for each program.
Each department reviews dual degree applications independently. You must complete all of the requirements set by each department, including separate deadlines, test requirements, etc. If you are only admitted to one program, you will have the option of switching to the single degree program after the review process.
Please review The University of Texas' instructions for submitting your transcripts.
The GRE is required of all applicants, and the TOEFL is required of international applicants. We do not accept the IELTS. Visit UT's website for more information about test scores.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required as part of your application. We prefer one professional reference and one academic reference, while the third can be either professional or academic, depending on where you are in your career. Please review the departmental requirements section for more information about electronic submission of letters of recommendation.
After submitting your ApplyTexas application, you will receive access to your MyStatus page. You can upload your résumé directly onto your MyStatus page. Please note that it will take at least one to two business days for you to receive access to your MyStatus page after submitting your ApplyTexas application.
Statement of Purpose
After submitting your ApplyTexas application, you will receive access to your MyStatus page. You can upload your Statement of Purpose directly onto your MyStatus page. Please note that it will take at least one to two business days for you to receive access to your MyStatus page after submitting your ApplyTexas application.
Please address the following topics in your statement:
- Why are you interested in global policy studies, and what international or transnational policy challenge do you find most compelling?
- What kind of career would you like to pursue, and how would attending the LBJ School help you to fulfill your objectives? Think in terms of a 10-year timeline.
- What meaningful international experiences have you had so far, and how did they shape your outlook about international affairs and your career?
What to submit:
- Complete ApplyTexas application
- Application fee
- Official transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions
- GRE scores
- TOEFL scores (for international applicants)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Current résumé
- Personal statement of purpose
How to Verify Submission
Verify your application submission by visiting your MyStatus page to ensure we have received all of your materials and check for additional steps to take after you've applied. The UT Graduate and International Admissions Center can assist with technical issues in submitting your application materials.