Learn more about how to join a community of leaders with a future of making a difference.
Applications Open: September 1
Application Deadline: December 1 (Round 1); March 15 (Round 2)
Part-time Available: No
Time to Completion: 18 months
To apply for admission to the Master of Public Affairs (MPAff) DC Concentration, a candidate should have completed a bachelor’s degree and is strongly preferred to have at least two years of subsequent work experience, preferably in public service (federal, state or local levels), nonprofit agencies (U.S. or international nonprofits, national volunteer organizations, etc.), or business (preferably with a strategy, finance, management or policy dimension).
Because a significant component of this program is placement in a professional Internship during the final two program semesters, the admissions committee will, beyond the candidate’s academic qualifications, also assess the candidate’s potential to successfully secure and succeed in these positions.
Appropriate experience could include work and/or volunteer experience in:
- An executive, legislative or judicial agency at the federal, state or local level
- A policy research institute or think tank
- Private sector commercial work with a policy or public sector dimension
- A nonprofit organization serving a national, state or local constituency
The admissions committee will consider public sector service, such as Peace Corps or Teach for America experience, military service, or other appropriate experiences in a positive light.
Students will be expected to have an understanding of descriptive statistics, probability and algebra before beginning coursework.
The ApplyTexas application opens in early September. Please review the online application instructions for more details and fee information. Some U.S. or permanent resident applicants may be eligible for an application fee waiver on the basis of documented financial need.
Note: Be sure to choose Public Affairs DC when you are asked to select your major in the application process.
Are you a current or former UT Austin graduate student?
Current and former UT Austin graduate students should submit the Change of Major form instead of completing the ApplyTexas application. This does not apply to current and former UT Austin undergraduate students, who should submit the ApplyTexas application.
Are you applying to a dual degree program?
If you are applying to a dual degree program, please select the correct dual degree code on the ApplyTexas application. You should not submit separate ApplyTexas applications for each program.
Each department reviews dual degree applications independently. You must complete all of the requirements set by each department, including separate deadlines, test requirements, etc. If you are only admitted to one program, you will have the option of switching to the single degree program after the review process.
Please review The University of Texas' instructions for submitting your transcripts.
The GRE is required of all applicants, and the TOEFL is required of international applicants. We do not accept the IELTS. Visit UT's website for more information about test scores.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required as part of your application. We prefer one professional reference and one academic reference, while the third can be either professional or academic, depending on where you are in your career. Please review the departmental requirements section for more information about electronic submission of letters of recommendation.
After submitting your ApplyTexas application, you will receive access to your MyStatus page. You can upload your résumé directly onto your MyStatus page. Please note that it will take at least one to two business days for you to receive access to your MyStatus page after submitting your ApplyTexas application.
Statement of Purpose
After submitting your ApplyTexas application, you will receive access to your MyStatus page. You can upload your Statement of Purpose directly onto your MyStatus page. Please note that it will take at least one to two business days for you to receive access to your MyStatus page after submitting your ApplyTexas application.
Please address the following topics in your statement:
- What are the most important things the LBJ School Admissions Committee should know about you (e.g., personal history and background, unique experiences and perspectives)? In other words, what led you to your interest in pursuing this degree?
- What are your professional and career goals? Ten years from now, what type of work do you hope to be doing in the field of public policy?
- How would a degree from the LBJ School help you achieve your professional goals?
- How does policy work in Washington, DC, complement or align with your career goals, and what in your background has prepared you to work in the DC policy environment?
What to submit:
- Complete ApplyTexas application
- Application fee
- Official transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions
- GRE scores
- TOEFL scores (for international applicants)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Current résumé
- Personal statement of purpose
How to Verify Submission
Verify your application submission by visiting your MyStatus page to ensure we have received all of your materials and check for additional steps to take after you've applied. The UT Graduate and International Admissions Center can assist with technical issues in submitting your application materials.