"When Stacey Abrams delivered her rebuttal to the president’s State of the Union Tuesday, she took Trump to task for many problems. But her main focus was an issue even bigger than the president," writes the Washington Post's Eugene Scott of the LBJ School alumna who delivered the Democratic response to Donald Trump's State of the Union address.
"In her speech, Abrams, last year’s Democratic gubernatorial nominee in Georgia, argued that voter suppression disenfranchises people of color, women and the poor. Addressing this by expanding voting rights must be the primary issue for Democrats in 2020, she said. The party’s ability to execute its agenda lies in the balance."
More coverage of Abrams' speech:
- FULL TRANSCRIPT: Stacey Abrams' Democratic Rebuttal (New York Times, Feb. 5, 2019)
- Stacey Abrams’s Speech Stirs Questions About Presidential Run (New York Times, Feb. 6, 2019)
- Fact Check: Democratic Response To Trump's State Of The Union Address (NPR, Feb. 5, 2019)
- Stacey Abrams’s New Strategy for Democrats (The Atlantic, Feb. 6, 2019)
- Sanders praises Stacey Abrams: ‘Very, very effective’ (The Hill, Feb. 6, 2019)
- Stacey Abrams: ‘Together, We Are Coming For America, For A Better America’ (HuffPost, Feb. 6, 2019)
- Stacey Abrams, Preparing Her State of the Union Response, Weighs Senate Run (New York Times, Feb. 5, 2019)