* This class is one of the mandatory class requirements for The Construction Purchasing Certificate Program.
To learn more about this certificate program click here
ONLINE REGISTRATION HAS CLOSED FOR THIS CLASS. PLEASE CALL 512-471-0820 WITH QUESTIONS
NOTE: This is a new date for this class!
This program is targeted towards directors, facility managers, construction representatives, supply managers, risk managers, contract managers, and inventory and warehouse managers.
This course focuses exclusively on the legal environment and the legal aspects of contracting for construction projects. It begins with an overview of the law including general contract law and construction-specific legal provisions as well as the application of tort (personal injury) law to construction. Basics of contracting – contract formation, contract performance, contract remedies and agency relationships are reviewed in the context of construction contracting.
The course also addresses the various contracts likely to be a part of any construction project, including agreements between the Owner and the Architect or Engineer, between the Owner and the Prime Contractor and between the Prime Contractor and any subcontractors. Specific contract terms, such as responsibilities of the respective parties, lien provisions, indemnification, and change orders, and their particular importance to construction contracting and management are emphasized.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and describe construction-specific legal provisions,
- List various contracts likely to be a part of any construction project,
- Explain and apply contract clauses specific to construction,
- List potential risk to organization and agencies and propose mitigation, and
- Navigate construction contracts to ensure your company/organization's interests are served.