LBJ School Professor Dr. Victoria DeFrancesco Soto says ICE raids do not work because the root causes of immigration to the U.S. are ignored.
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Duke University
- M.A. in Political Science, Duke University
- B.A. in Political Science & Latin American Studies, University of Arizona
- Political Psychology Summer Institute, Stanford University
- ICPSR Summer Program in Quantitative Methods of Social Research, University of Michigan
- Campaigns & Elections
- Women & Politics
- Social Policy
Victoria DeFrancesco Soto is a lecturer at The University of Texas’ LBJ School of Public Affairs, where she was selected as one of UT’s Game Changers. She is also a faculty affiliate of the Department of Mexican-American and Latino Studies and the Center for Mexican American Studies. Soto received her Ph.D. in political science from Duke University, during which time she was a National Science Foundation Fellow. Named one of the top 12 scholars in the country by Diverse magazine, she previously taught at Northwestern University and Rutgers.
In her research and teaching, DeFrancesco Soto brings an interdisciplinary lens to the understanding of American politics and policy. Her areas of expertise include immigration, women and politics, political psychology, and campaigns and elections.
DeFrancesco Soto is a contributor to MSNBC and NBCNews.com, as well as a regular political analyst for Telemundo. She has provided on-air analysis for CNN, Fox, PBS, Univision and NPR, and has appeared on HBO’s "Real Time with Bill Maher." Most recently, she was a featured expert in the PBS documentary "Willie Velasquez: Your Vote is Your Voice," about the civil rights trailblazer. DeFrancesco Soto also has been published in both academic and popular outlets such as POLITICO, Talking Points Memo and Perspectives on Politics, where she has translated social science research into a more relatable form of information for a wide variety of audiences.
- Fall 2019 - 59080 - PA 680PA - Policy Research Project
- Fall 2018 - 60865 - PA 388K – Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Fall 2018 - 60840 - PA 388K – Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2018 - 60805 - PA 388K – Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Spring 2018 - 60655 - PA 383C – Policy Development
- Fall 2017 - 60840 - PA 388K – Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Fall 2016 - 60709 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Fall 2013 - 63670 - PA388K - Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Latino Public Policy
- State & National Campaign Politics
- Women in Politics