LBJ professor of national security chronicles his years of service, the bin Laden raid and what makes a leader in both the military and in life.
Sea Stories begins in 1960 at the American Officers' Club in France, where Allied officers and their wives gathered to have drinks and tell stories about their adventures during World War II — the place where a young Bill McRaven learned the value of a good story. Sea Stories is an unforgettable look back on one man's incredible life, from childhood days sneaking into high-security military sites to a day job of hunting terrorists and rescuing hostages.
Adm. William H. McRaven is a part of American military history, having been involved in some of the most famous missions in recent memory, including the capture of Saddam Hussein, the rescue of Capt. Richard Phillips and the raid to kill Osama bin Laden.
Action-packed, inspiring and full of thrilling stories from life in the special operations world, Sea Stories is a remarkable memoir from one of America's most accomplished leaders.
Admiral William H. McRaven (U.S. Navy Retired) is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling book Make Your Bed, which expanded on his blockbuster speech at the 2014 University of Texas at Austin commencement. In his 37 years as a Navy SEAL, he commanded at every level. As a four-star admiral, his final assignment was as commander of all U.S. Special Operations Forces. After retiring from the Navy, he served as the chancellor of the University of Texas System from 2015 to 2018. He now lives in Austin, Texas, with his wife, Georgeann.
Praise for Sea Stories
“McRaven, a retired U.S. Navy admiral, follows his self-help guide, Make Your Bed, in which he shared principles for success learned during his more than 30 years as a Navy SEAL, with this collection of fascinating stories from his time as commander of the Special Operations Forces…McRaven’s war stories deliver remarkable insight into the life of a wartime leader.”
—Publishers Weekly Review
"Engaging...Sea Stories is more than an autobiography, more than a narrative of recent military history, and more than the sum of one remarkable man's experiences. In his excellently flowing prose...McRaven not only allows readers the opportunity to vicariously experience daring adventures and the command of elite warriors heading into harm's way, he also shares practical everyday wisdom."
—Booklist (Starred Review)
"Readers interested in the essential work of military special forces will be inspired by McRaven's adventures."
Adm. McRaven in the media:
- Adm. William McRaven on the raid that killed Osama bin Laden (PBS NewsHour, June 4, 2019)
- Adm. William H. McRaven speaks on Iran and foreign policy (The Why, Newsy, May 31, 2019)
- Admiral McRaven talks life, Saddam Hussein and millennials (The Why, Newsy, May 31, 2019)
- Quit dissing millennials, says retired admiral who led U.S. special operations forces (South Florida SunSentinel, May 31, 2019)
- Adm. William McRaven has more to talk about than killing bin Laden (Houston Chronicle, May 30, 2019)
- William McRaven shares ‘Sea Stories’ from his life In Special Ops (audio) (Houston Matters, Houston Public Media, May 30, 2019)
- Adm. McRaven recalls talk with troops before bin Laden raid: 'Just do your job' (Fox & Friends, Fox News, May 25, 2019)
- The retired Navy SEAL admiral who oversaw Saddam's capture and bin Laden's killing has no regrets about taking on Trump (Business Insider, May 23, 2019)
- Video: Adm. McRaven speaks about leadership and threats facing U.S. (Reuters, May 23, 2019)
- SEAL admiral who commanded bin Laden raid says no one should be pardoned for war crimes (Washington Examiner, May 23, 2019)
- Retired Adm. McRaven has no regrets over criticizing Trump (Channel News Asia, May 23, 2019)
- US Navy SEALs who killed Osama bin Laden used their sniper to confirm target ID (Sputnik News, May 23, 2019)
- Adm. William McRaven (Ret.): Iran would be foolish to go after the U.S. military (Brian Kilmeade Show, Fox News Radio, May 22, 2019)
- Retired Adm. McRaven has no regrets over criticizing Trump (Reuters, May 22, 2019)
- Retired Navy SEAL who led raid that killed Osama bin Laden tells Fox News Trump 'needs to be very careful' about pardoning accused war criminals (AlterNet, May 22, 2019)
- 'He was a human tape measure': Ex-Navy SEAL who killed Bin Laden says they confirmed his identity by asking a 6'2' sniper to lay down next to his body because they knew how tall the 9/11 mastermind was (Daily Mail, May 22, 2019)
- Adm. William McRaven Tells Spellbinding 'Sea Stories' (Texas Monthly, May 21, 2019)
- Ret. Admiral McRaven Decries Trump’s Media Attacks: al-Qaeda Is the Enemy of the People, Not the Press (Mediaite/MSNBC, May 21, 2019)
- Retired Navy SEAL who oversaw the 2011 Osama bin Laden raid says Trump 'needs to be very careful' about pardoning service members accused of war crimes (Business Insider, May 21, 2019)
- Adm. William McRaven: 'In spite of all I've seen, I have great hope for the future' (MSNBC, May 21, 2019)
- Trump doesn’t want a war with Iran, Adm. William McRaven says (Cavuto: Coast-to-Coast, Fox Business, May 21, 2019)
- Adm. William McRaven cautions Trump on prospective pardons ("CBS This Morning," CBS News, May 20, 2019)
- Retired admiral who led raid that killed bin Laden cautions Trump on pardoning servicemen (The Hill, May 20, 2019)
- Retired Adm. William McRaven on Osama bin Laden raid, 'fabulous' millennial generation ("CBS This Morning," CBS News, May 20, 2019)
- Anyone who calls millennials 'soft' has never seen them fight in Afghanistan, says the Navy SEAL admiral who oversaw the bin Laden raid (Business Insider, May 20, 2019)
- McRaven: Anyone who calls millennials 'soft' has clearly never seen them in a firefight (Task & Purpose, May 20, 2019)
- What threatens democracy? Navy SEAL warns of Trump's attacks on US institutions (USA Today, May 17, 2019)
- Photo Gallery: Legendary Navy SEAL has served his country for decades (USA Today, May 17, 2019)
- A sea dog recalls heroic SEALS actions and his role in them (The Washington Times, May 13, 2019)
- Life lessons and war stories from Adm. William H. McRaven (CBS Sunday Morning, CBS News, May 12, 2019
- Book excerpt: Sea Stories by Adm. William H. McRaven (CBS Sunday Morning, CBS News, May 11, 2019