Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

The University of Texas Austin provides a wealth of information for the development and management of grants and contracts on various university websites including:

Office of Sponsored Projects for all information on external sponsorship of grant/contract projects:, especially on their boilerplate information page

Vice President and Chief Financial Officer for details on procurement and business contract protocols and forms:

Central Development Office for details on non-research philanthropic gifts:

A comprehensive resource for grant/contracts development and management processes and protocols can be found in the Pre-Award Handbook, published by the Office of Sponsored Projects. It answers all of these questions and more.

What is F & A cost? What is UT-Austin's current F & A rate?
What is MDTC?
What is a DUNS number?
What is UT-Austin's Congressional District?
What is UT-Austin's NIH Human Subjects Assurance Number?
What is UT-Austin's NIH Animal Welfare Assurance Number?
What is the NIH Salary Cap?
What are Fringe Rates?
Why do I need Letters of Support?
What is a Budget Justification?
Do I need to budget for student tuition?
What are the On-campus vs. Off-campus Indirect Cost Rates?
What should come through the LBJ School Grants Office?
What do I need to know about international research, travel, and shipping? (or Export Control regulations)
How should I address business contracts with foreign collaborators?
What if my research project includes sensitive data?

Please submit questions not answered here to: